Inland Revenue FAQ

Inland Revenue FAQThe Inland Revenue is responsible for collecting taxes, but since 2005, it has merged with HM Customs and Excise and is now known as HM Revenue and Customs. You can find the Inland Revenue contact number here. The following Inland Revenue FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) will give some indication of what this government department is responsible for. 

Q.Can I apply for Working Tax Credits if I only work 16 hours per week

A. Some people, such as those aged over 60 or single parents or people with a disability, may be eligible for Working Tax Credits when working at least 16 hours per week. The best way to check eligibility is to phone and get an assessment of the situation

Q. I think I paid too much tax during the last tax year. How can I check and get a repayment?

A. The tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April each year, and refunds are calculated and sent out by September. This situation is quite common for people who may have changed jobs or taken on a second job during the tax year. In most cases, the Inland Revenue will send any refund by September. If nothing arrives, it will be necessary to phone for advice.

Q. I want to set up a small business. Do I need to tell HMRC as soon as I start?

A. Anyone who sets up a business, even if they are retired or just working part-time, must contact the HMRC. Even if the business will be very small, it is essential that HMRC are informed.

Q. As I am now 50, I am getting anxious about the effect my erratic work history may have on my future pension entitlement. What should I do?

A. Customers can phone and request a statement of their National Insurance account which will reveal any gaps in contributions. It will then be up to the individual to decide if it is in their interests to make payments to plug those gaps.

The department is responsible for a wide range of tax and employment matters, and these Inland Revenue FAQ are just some of the most commonly asked. Inland Revenue staff are able to advise customers over the phone, but it is a good idea to find national insurance and tax information before calling.